top of page

The Castle Cocktail Lounge: One Building with Three Stories-Brownie’s Dance Hall, Raevena Gardens and the Roost

  • 22 hours ago
  • 4 min read

“They met at a birthday party at Brownies Dance Hall in James Twp. And married in 1947.” 

-(The Saginaw News, February 26, 2012)


The Castle Cocktail Lounge is getting ready to close its doors on another season of thirst-quenching history and an exciting road trip around the county:


–but it's getting late, and we thought we'd better head for home...well, maybe one last stop…for a drink…and a dance…



Brown’s Dance Hall

The Saginaw News Courier, 8-21-25
The Saginaw News Courier, 8-21-25

In James Township, Swan Creek Road* and River Road meet at a curve. For generations, this was a destination for entertainment.  


Prohibition was in full swing when Brown’s Hall opened.  One of the earliest advertisements announced: “Everyone invited. Free dance Sunday night. Brown’s hall, Jamestown, Jones orch.-Adv.” (The Saginaw News Courier, November 15. 1924.) 


However, exactly when the hall opened remains a little uncertain. The obituary of one of the venue’s founders, Eva Peloquin, records: “Mrs. Delore Peloquin, 69, who with her husband operated Brownies Tavern for 24 years before retiring in 1944.” (The Saginaw News, March 14, 1949.)  Eva Hausler Peloquin was born in Saginaw, and on October 11, 1897, married Delore Peloquin. Delore, born in Wisconsin, was a coal miner before he and his wife opened their entertainment venue. 


For decades, Brown’s Dance Hall had a robust, loyal following. Public dances were interspersed with parties and community events. In 1935, the hall served as a theater for an audience of about 350 for the Paines Dramatic Club’s performance of the comedy “Mamma’s Baby Boy,”  a play sponsored by the Paines Parent-Teacher organization. With the end of prohibition, the choice of beverages available increased, and the dance hall became known as Brown’s or Brownie’s Tavern and sometimes simply as Brownie’s.


By 1940, advertisements touted:  “Modern and Old Time Dance at Brownie’s Tavern, St. Charles Road; St. Night – Benny Masker’s Orchestra.”  Even with  World War II gas rationing, business was robust. The author of this post remembers when parents shared stories of outings to Brown’s Dance Hall, making you realize they had once been young – and you were old enough to be told the stories they were sharing. 


Raevena Gardens


In 1944, the Peloquins sold the tavern to Lavena M. and Raymond H. Barber. Renamed Raevena Gardens, they operated the club for five years. When they sold the club, the paper reported the sale “includes the night club, the adjacent dance pavilion, the Class C (liquor by the glass) license, and the nearby residence. The purchase includes the 7-acre James Township site, approximately four miles west of Saginaw.” (The Saginaw News, September  30, 1949.) 


Business at Raevena Gardens remained varied, robust, and included remote, live radio broadcasts by WKNX of Saginaw. 



The Roost


From All of Me A History of Muscians of Saginaw Michigan 1850s - 1950s by Fred Reif. Used with permission of author
From All of Me A History of Muscians of Saginaw Michigan 1850s - 1950s by Fred Reif. Used with permission of author

In February 1965, Raevena Gardens was sold and started a third act as  “The Roost.”  By the 1980s, The Roost was listed for sale: 


“Available James Township. The “Roost”. Former tavern with 6.63 acres Location excellent for party store, club. Service center Only $55,00. Rich Yoeman…” (The Saginaw News, February 26, 1986.)

The Saginaw News, 2-24-65
The Saginaw News, 2-24-65

*Swan Creek Road was not consistently known by that name until well into the mid-twentieth century. Into the 30s, it was sometimes referred to as St. Charles Road, and when Ray and Lavena Barber transformed Brownie’s Tavern into the Raevena Gardens, they dispensed with the cumbersome road names and simply gave the location as 4 ½ miles out West Michigan. 


Note: The Olde James Town Hall was moved to the site after The Roost had closed. It is not the structure that housed Brownies, Ravenna Garden, or The Roost.


Time for a Drink…Long Island Iced Tea


“Bartender – Reliable. Afternoons, evenings. 3-11. Apply in person. The Roost, 7025 Swan Creek Road.” 

-(The Saginaw News, May 14, 1967.)


The history behind the invention of Long Island Iced Tea is shrouded in confusion – it is perhaps a fitting drink for a night spot with a history starting in prohibition and ending in the disco era.  


The Long Island Iced Tea may have been invented in some variation in the 1920s, during Prohibition, by Charles Bishop, aka “Old Man Bishop” who lived on Long Island in Kingsport, Tennessee. The Original Recipe Included five liquors and maple syrup. In the 1940s, Old Man Bishop’s Son, Ransom Bishop tweaked the original recipe by adding lemon, lime and cola.* 


However, Bartender Robert “Rosebud” Butt also reportedly created the Long Island Iced Tea for a triple sec cocktail competition at the Oak Beach Inn on Long Island, New York in the 1970s. 


“The drink was one of those perfect storms of the cocktail world: it had a great name, it was easy to drink, and it could be replicated in any bar, anywhere.” (Jeff Morganthaler.com)


This is a link to a video exploring the drink.


Equal parts:

¾ oz. white rum

¾ oz. vodka

¾ oz. silver tequila

¾ oz. gin

¾ oz. triple sec 

¾ oz. simple syrup

¾ oz. lemon juice


Shake with ice. Strain into an ice-filled glass.


Top with cola. 


In 1985, the New York Times wrote, “A potent alcoholic drink called Long Island Iced Tea is sweeping the Island’s bars as well as watering spots across the country.” 


*Kingsport, TN even offers a “Long Island Iced Tea Trail” for dedicated followers of the beverage.

 
 
bottom of page