The Historical Society of Saginaw County is committed to serving the community by telling the continuing story of the people of the Saginaw region through exploration, preservation, and presentation of their historical and cultural heritage.
Quarantine Sign in Exhibit at Chesaning Area Historical Museum
We need your help –
Although the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History is currently closed during the current health situation, the board and staff are striving to continue fulfilling our mission statement through presentations and interviews on our Facebook page and website. Of course, we all look forward to the day when the museum is again open and this is one of the places where we need your help.
Museums collect things to preserve stories. While the Castle Museum does have an archive and will preserve recordings and articles, we need your assistance in identifying 3-d objects that tell the story of the Covid-19 pandemic – with a unique Saginaw angle. We are thinking of signs – especially handmade ones-telling the unfolding story of closings (we have been preserving a copy of each type that has been mounted on the front doors of the museum), one of the “Heroes Work Here” signs and a homemade face mask.
We need your assistance in identifying and obtaining a limited number of items – after the items are no longer needed.
A few thoughts to consider when helping us collect items:
- The object must directly connect to the pandemic as it unfolded in Saginaw County.
- Handmade, locally produced items are more evocative than generic, nationally produced items.
- We are collecting for the future, so we must be able to preserve the item – some plastics, tape and adhesives, simply will not last.
- We are looking for a few good artifacts – somewhat like the slogan the Marines use. Although we are certain that this story will demand many future exhibits, we need to select a manageable number of artifacts.
- Signs and objects that were actually used have a much greater ability to help us tell a story. Especially, when they are accompanied by photographs and written stories. (Again, we will not accept anything before it has completed its service.)
- Remember the Museum is currently closed and we are working off-site, so we need to collect on the futures market.
If you would like to help, please contact Tom Trombley, Vice President and Chief Historian, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you so much!