Archaeology Collections

The Historical Society maintains and operates an archaeological repository for the long-term storage and protection of its archaeological collections. In 1983, a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service made the Historical Society the only institution in the region officially designated as a repository for archaeological material derived from the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge. This helps to keep important archaeological material locally available for scientific research and exhibition.

 

It is important to us to share what we, and others, have learned about the archaeology of the Saginaw Valley. To this end, are proud to have developed “Revealing Our Buried Past: Archaeology of the Saginaw Valley”. 

Saginaw

Valley

Shiawassee

National Wildlife

Refuge

Fire of
1893