Celebrating the 125th Anniversary of Hoyt Library
The exhibition is closed. Please enjoy the information about this past exhibit.
Hoyt Public Library opened to the public on November 1, 1890. While alterations have been made to the meet the changing needs of the public and demands of new technology, the building dedicated 125 years ago remains an important community resource and landmark.
After Jesse Hoyt's death in 1882, it took several years for the Board of Trustees to establish the library. The board worked with one of the period's noted librarians, William F. Poole, and they selected an architect through a competition. Held in 1886, the most prominent American architects of that time were invited. After great consideration, the committee selected the design submitted by Henry Van Brunt of Boston.
The design of the library is directly based on the theories and principles put forth by William F. Poole. Established as a non-circulating reference library, books were housed in a fireproof room that was located in the eastern portion of the building.
In 1921, the library merged with the Public Libraries of Saginaw. The building has undergone a number of additional renovations since that time.